How to Grow
All of our tips on growing fresher gourmet oyster mushrooms at home
Watch all our how to grow videos below
- Humidity helps and you can increase this by being clever and using a humidity tent. Take a clear or white biodegradable bag (the bags from the fresh produce section of stores are perfect), cut holes in the corners so it’s slightly breathable and cover the box with the bag. Spray/drizzle water on the inner surface of the bag and on the mushroom growing surface 2-4 times per day. Mushrooms need oxygen so it’s important to remove the plastic bag as soon as you notice mushrooms growing and then continue watering them.
- Use clean tools and wash your hands. Bacteria can appear when dirty hands or tools have touched the growing surface or the plastic surrounding it. If this happens, you can still grow delicious mushrooms by choosing a new white area of the block such as the reverse side.
- Like a rain-forest – choose an area of the home with still air movement as far away from the heater or air conditioner as possible because this can dry out your mushie box and don’t be afraid of over-watering.
- Patience is key, rest your box for a week before spraying for your second and third crops and they can take up to 4 weeks each.
- If someone in the house has a mushroom allergy it’s extra important to harvest your crop while the mushroom caps face downwards so no spores are released. This also means your mushies will taste better and future harvest will be enhanced!
Frequently Asked Questions
Mushroom Box FAQs
I am not a very good gardener is it difficult to grow these mushrooms?
How should I care for my Home Grown Mushroom Box?
Just spray the whole area where you have cut the hole, pulling back the flaps momentarily to make sure it all gets some water. Then allow the flaps to fall back into place as they will help to keep the humidity in.
Aim to spray at least twice a day, giving the whole area a good soak each time (i.e. approx. 10 sprays).
What temperature is best?
Where should I grow my mushrooms?
When to harvest?
How long do the mushrooms last?
How should I store them?
How many mushrooms can I grow?
What should I do with my mushrooms after I finish growing them?
My Home Grown Mushroom box grew a beautiful first crop but the second one hasn’t come in–what’s wrong?
What happens if I don’t grow any mushrooms?
If you have tried all the above tips and are still having any troubles growing your mushrooms then we are here to help! Please send us some details to firstname.lastname@example.org so one of our mushroom experts can put you on on the right path to success. Pictures are always helpful. We want all of our customers to have a happy growing experience so we will get back to you as soon as we can.